When I was writing this letter, I think I was just wasting my time. However, I went ahead and finished with it, just out of principles. I'll put it in the mailbox first thing in the morning. It is related to the whole email fiasco that I went through with the website www.shelfari.com. As much as trouble as I have with it, I thought I should have made it a little harsher. But anyway, read on if you're interested.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
October 11, 2007
To Whom It May Concern,
Subject: Problems with invitation emails
On the week of October 1, 2007, I registered to be a member of your website under the username “smile17”. At first, I enjoyed using the website, with it user-friendly interface and its outstanding design. I felt energetic, convincing myself that finally there is a website that is using the latest technology to connect book lovers together.
Consequently, with such excitement, later on that week, I provided Shelfari with my Yahoo! ID and password to grant Shelfari a one-time access to my Yahoo! Address book to retrieve my contacts’ information to see who have been on Shelfari and who have not. I also personally chose to send invitations to just a few more friends whom I would like to share my book preferences with.
A few days later, on October 7, 2007, I received an email from a contact telling me that they did not interest in Shelfari and kindly asked me not to invite her to Shelfari again. The problem here is that I did not choose to invite her to Shelfari in the first place. With further investigation, I found out that not only her, but everyone that is in my Yahoo! Address book, including my professional and business contacts, whom I did not desire to share my book preferences with whatsoever, has received invitations from me to join Shelfari.
Therefore, losing trust with Shelfari, I deleted my account on October 9th. And surprisingly, a day later, another one of my contact emailed me and asked me to “get me off the list” because she received a second invitation from Safari under my name. And in fact, I did not want to invite her in the first place, let alone let it happen twice. Since I deleted my account and was no longer a Shelfari’s account holder, Shelfari has no rights whatsoever to use my email address to send invitations to people in my address book without my consent. This incident truly infuriates me, as I spent endless hours to write emails apologizing for a mistake that I did not make.
As a consumer, I have the rights to maintain the privacy of my identity, and in this situation, my identity has been breached blatantly. Hereby, in writing, I ask you to respect my rights and stop using my name and my email address in any form to invite any person to join Shelfari and/or Shelfari associates.
Thank you in advance.
Sincerely,
Signed
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Update: Shelfari sent me an email to apologize and promise that there would not be anymore email sent out under my name and email address. Thanks to everybody for commenting!
A Letter to Shelfari.com
Posted by
Sanguine Heart
at
Oct 10, 2007
Labels: english
0 comments:
Post a Comment