All the Best

I remember back then, when I first started with nursing school, I had some problems at first. I think the professors were trying to filter students that did not have the potential to be successful out of the program. It was almost impossible to study for a test; none of the test contents were in the textbook. Like most students, I relied a lot on my "psy" and luck to get pass this period of time. Of course, "psy" and luck are nothing scientific; I still had a bad grade now and then. So naturally, I decided to talk to one of the teachers to figure out how to do better.

"Maybe you're not cut out to do this. Maybe this is not for you. Maybe the language barrier is too much", she bluntly told me. I was almost in tears.

Naturally, her statements made me falter a little bit. I started to doubt myself, started to think that maybe this wasn't for me after all. Nothing is worse than when you realize you may not have something that you really want and work hard for. I stumbled around for a while and at last decided to change my approach. Instead of the "trying my best to get what I want" attitude, I lived by the "giving my best and seeing what comes my way" outlook. I ignored my teachers' words, ignored all the "no's" that were screaming at me. I kept trying and struggling, believing something good would come out of it. I sweat and bleed mentally. However, it was all paid off.  Good things did happen; my records were clean and in the top-notch when I graduated. I made it through basic training, completed my undergrad education swiftly, and started pounding the pavement on my own. Things worked themselves out.

And now every time I heard a friend or an acquaintance wondering about their difficulties, or wondering if something is meant to be or not, I like to tell them my story. Don't let anybody tell you the word "can't". In fact, don't let yourself say the word "can't". Please don't. I deeply believe when you give your best, something good will always come out of it. We're young, give it a try.

0 comments: