Little Things

I'm listening to Gil Ofarim; haven't listened to him for a long time. Nowadays I can't find his music online anymore; all I flock to are those mp3s I brought with me from Vietnam. I think he has a new album out but I still like the one I have the best, 'cause I've listened to it so many times that I can tell which song is playing just by hearing the first few notes, and it doesn't bore me for a bit.

The only song I don't like from that album is "Bang Bang Bang." I think it's too loud; it sounds like a gun fire in my head. I always skip to the next song if I hear that loud introduction, bang bang bang, and I know somebody else who did the same thing like I do too

Gil is a German artist. The Scorpion is also a German band. And I happen to like them both.

My host parents used to have a bunch of German exchange students, so there are made-in-Germany stuff all over the house: dolls, music boxes, chocolates, pictures...We even have a broken piece of rock from the Berlin Wall (I'll post a picture of it sometime). When I first came, I was astonished to find out that even the only computer in the house had a German version of Microsoft Office installed on it. I was scratching my head and like, "How I am gonna type with this?"

But there were some changes ever since I came. If you step into my house, you'll see German and Vietnamese stuff all over There are some pictures here and there of Vietnam, some Vietnamese candies in the kitchen, some Vietnamese flip-flops at the doorstep; there is even a mini-version of a "xích lô" sitting there at the living room. And if you turn on the computer, you'll see Vietkey there waiting for you. Cozy enough for me...

Ah, and I also have a good German friend, who is living in Hamburg now. He has a funny accent with a cute personality. He taught me some German words, but by far the one I remember the most is tschüss, which means "bye" in German. This word reminds me of those hilarious soccer commentators in Vietnam, they usually yell real loud "SÚT" when somebody kicks the ball in the goal; and "sút" sounds about the same as tschüss to me

Well, that's enough about Gil and Germany...

0 comments: